May 22, 2008

Thing 2 - This I Believe about Transforming Libraries

Recently in class, the video below was presented to a classroom filled with future of MLIS graduates, of varying age groups, skill levels and backgrounds. Surprisingly, the initial response from numerous class members was neutral to extremely negative. The range of concerns were many... the books disappearing, the cost, the overlap with existing structures such as museums and science centers. The positives were almost cast aside in hesitance to consider a different way.

I reacted with a great deal of positive experience - excited for opportunties to collaborate with the community, nuture creativity, allow exposure to new concepts and simply bring knowledge out into the world.

I feel quite similarily about Library 2.0 - I see all these potential positive benefits and cannot understand some of the deep seated reluctance. On the other hand, I am aware of good reason for caution, especially with features that must be purchased. And yet, why not explore, browse, consider and begin to invent! After watching Stephen Abram's video, I immediately began exploring the new applications and websites, making notes of what might be useful and I also found myself sharing tidbits with friends and co-workers.

I realize that my intutition to play with technology and start applying it to my daily life is an outcome from having grown up during a time of technological innovation. As Sarah Perez explains in her article "Why Gen Y is Going to Change the Web," Gen Y is adept with technology and expects to apply to their worklife, because it is productive and fun.

When I look at a library, filled to its doors with knowledge contained within a variety of mediums - I believe technology will offer ways to extract, share and enhance the role of this institution.

0 comments: