June 30, 2008

Thing_10 Wikis!

This particular thing couldn't have come at a better time in my personal life. My boyfriend and I are apartment hunting together, and I created a PB Wiki for us to coordinate our list of prospective apartments, which we both add to and access at times. We have a set list of information that we list about each location, including a link to the orignal online ad, if available, and then, we also list all of our follow-up by location. This allows us both to be calling and following up with landlords/apartment managers and maintain our common knolwedge. To complete the story, we are also using a shared Google Calendar with maps to the apartments embedded as links so that we can access and print from anywhere.

On to a library perspective toward Wikis - I see this as a fantastic place for librarians and staff to collaborate in an easy to use space. I love that St. Joseph has created a simple guide to their library and commonly searched topics; this is a fantastic example of using new technology to allow increased flexibility without requiring HTML or other web programming.

I'm definitely going to continue exploring the Wiki concept. I have plans to use them in other areas of my personal life for coordination (because I love organizing).

1 comments:

MAW said...

Hi Amanda,I jumped to your blog from your post in 23 things' google group. Hope it's ok to subscribe to your blog! MAW at www.23transfer.blogspot.com