August 21, 2008

Thing 15_Online Games & Libraries

This is not an area where I have much interaction but when I heard about Puzzle Pirates from another 23 Thing adventurer, I had to try it and take a break from my class (side note - I just completed an intensive summer grad school course on Reference & Online Services, which is why I took a hiatus from this project/blog).

Puzzle Pirates is a time-wasting bonanza - yes it's fun, yes there's opportunities for social interaction, but at this point in my life, I prefer to meet friends in real-life and I didn't see much opportunity for creating those sort of relationships. I'm a prefectionist so I was immediately drawn into succeeding on the games, which meant that I managed to waste 2-3 hours working on it. I'm not someone who plays computer/online/tv games in general, so I don't expect that I'll try it again.

Second Life... I've heard so much about it, but I'm not ready to take the plunge. I'm curious but at this point in my life, I don't have the time necessary to create an avatar/profile and explore as much as I imagine would be necessary. I knew a friend who used it as a way to create objects for his architecture profile, which I'd love to see for myself.

I see a place for gaming in libraries, especially in creating positive opportunities for game-lovers to interact with the library and to create fun learning for all. It's not an area that I'm devoting much thought to personally, because as I mentioned, I'm not attracted to that area.

0 comments: