August 27, 2008

Thing 20_Libraries & Social Networks

Despite being a member of Gen X, I avoided the major social networking sites until I was directly asked to join by two close friends who chose to use it their primary vehicle for communicating/keeping up to date when they (a couple) moved abroad long-term. MySpace worked amazingly well for this purpose, my friends blogged, posted pictures, posted comments and maintained a connection with all of their friends throughout the world. And in the past, they were not always so quick to reply to e-mail but the community in MySpace and the many other draws - quizzes, games, etc. helped make it attractive.

Eventually, the draw wore off as I dealt with spam e-mails and friend requests. Only recently, I created a Facebook account too. The couple mentioned above also navigated to Facebook, so that worked out well too and three years later, with them now in a new location abroad, I continue to feel connected to them thanks to their active presence on the site.

In considering these tools for libraries, I think it's important that libraries maintain a presence on these sites because for many Gen Y'ers Facebook and Myspace encompass much of the known universe and libraries create legitimacy by being hip to it. In checking out the Denver and Hennepin Library sites, I was amused by the Hennepin County widget that displayed an upcoming event, but I noted that no one had ever commented on the post... or the post after it. Are people looking but not talking? Or does the site have minimal traffic? I also wonder who at the library deals with the spam e-mails, random friend requests and other mundane issues that happen.

Honestly, I prefer Facebook and think it'd be a better place for libraries. Thus far, I've found there's less spam and annoyances on Facebook and it also allows for nuanced privacy settings and a plethora of neat gadgets. For example, this post will feed right into my Facebook profile as a note this evening... pretty cool trick.

0 comments: