August 26, 2008

Thing 17_ELM Productivity Tools

I'm in between classes and projects at this moment and so I had some difficulty finding worthwhiled searches... which are a key element to making use of this amazing resource. I already shared the site address with a college grad who is searching for some good databases to do personal research.

Recently, I actually created an instruction plan for using RSS Feeds and creating feeds from Ebsco database searches. I chose that area because I see that being useful to a huge cross section of the population - students, faculty, and every day people who want to perform regular database searches.

As a student, I see these resources as Ebsco providing a way for librarians to create annotated searches and search lists, for students and their peers. For schools that provide research assistance, this would be a quick and easy way for librarians to give access to the recommended results in a database search.

However, with all of that excitement - I had technical issues with several of the features. Proquest gave back an error when trying to send the message and Ebsco repeatedly requested that I change a setting in IE, but never worked even after the change was made. It could be my computer... but I'm always concerned about features that are still buggy.

0 comments: